Position Summary of Duties:
The Bookkeeper serves as support for the pastor. The Bookkeeper fulfills parish administrative needs in finance, buildings and grounds and personnel. The Parish Bookkeeper directs these efforts with current professional expertise within the framework of shared ministry in Christian and Catholic values. This is an hourly position of 15-20 hours per week.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES: (The essential functions/major responsibilities listed are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position. Duties and responsibilities are also subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and the requirements of the job change.)
MINISTRY OF ADMINISTRATION
I. Financial Responsibilities
1. Maintains an accurate filing and record keeping and reporting system for all parish financial matters. Prepares monthly, quarterly and year end reports for parish and Diocese as needed. Responsible for remitting monthly, quarterly and yearly tax payments and reports.
2. Administers a cash flow management system with purchasing and payment schedules clearly defined.
3. Prepares, administers and reviews the budget process in collaboration with the Finance Committee, Pastor and other committees.
4. Monitors the collection, counting, recording and depositing of parish revenue from all sources.
5. Serves as a helpful resource to parish organizations in all financial matters from planning to auditing in concert with the Finance Council.
6. Serves as a parish contact with financial institutions and the Diocese.
7. Responsible for AP/AR, deposits, prepares and pays all federal and state income taxes, sends year-end parishioner tax statements, and CSA reports and updates.
8. Prepares bi-weekly payroll. Responsible for personnel file management.
9. Handles other duties as assigned.
1. Support, upholds, and maintains the Mission of the Diocese of Gary and Holy Name Parish and serves as a role model of the church in a positive manner and in all business interactions within the church and to the outside community. Demonstrates loyalty and pride in the church, its employees and departments
2. Respects and safeguards the confidentiality of information regarding parishioners, guests, co-workers and the church, and holds others accountable to the same standard.
3. As a leader within the church, projects a professional and caring demeanor in interactions with all.
4. Takes responsibility for maintaining a clean, neat and orderly environment. Uses equipment, supplies and other materials with a focused effort to stewardship and reducing waste.
5. Demonstrates an attitude of teamwork when interacting with others within or outside the church. As such, consistently displays respect for self and for others in manner (body language, dress), word (spoken language) and action (behavior).
6. Takes ownership of job responsibilities by initiating prompt and appropriate action/follow-up in all areas. Insures appropriate and timely resolutions to situations.
7. Exhibits resourcefulness and Initiative in anticipating and meeting the needs of others in a pro-active manner. Encourages and empowers others to perform in the same manner.
8. Welcomes suggestions and new ideas as an opportunity to learn, grow and improve services.
SPECIFIC JOB DUTIES:
Knowledge of accounting and record keeping principles and practices. Knowledge of cash flow management.
Knowledge and ability in budgetary principles including Diocesan regulations. Ability to maintain accurate collection and deposit records. Knowledge of fund raising and long range planning techniques.
Working knowledge of computer operations and parish office equipment. Ability to work cooperatively with small groups of volunteers. Knowledge of personnel policies and procedures.
Awareness of liability and litigation procedures and ability to respond to federal, state and local laws as they pertain to duties.
Knowledge of work contracts and purchasing guidelines.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
College graduate or its equivalent experience required. Three to five years experience in business or management preferred. Computer skills and knowledge of accounting required, including online accounting software. Microsoft Word, Excel and basic computer skills required. Knowledge and understanding of the Catholic Church and its mission required.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to stand, walk, stoop, talk, reach, feel, sit, climb, grasp, hear and perform repetitive motions of the hands/wrists. Lifts and moves items up to 30 pounds.
Work is performed mostly in an office setting. Employee is required to do extensive close computer work, as well as sit for long periods of time and attend evening or weekend meetings.
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described above are representative of the physical capabilities that must be met by an employee and the working conditions that an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.