Diocese of Gary
St. Matthias Parish, Crown Point, IN 46307
Principal Function: The Minister of Music leads the church in a music ministry that will inspire and enhance worship, engage all age levels in various music experiences, and promote music as an essential part of meaningful corporate and personal worship and spiritual growth.
Accountable To: Pastor and Pastoral Associate
Direct Reports: Musicians, Vocalists, Music/Worship Interns, and Volunteers
A. Plan, organize, and lead the Ministry of Music
- Plan, coordinate and evaluate a comprehensive music program inclusive of all age groups.
- Work with the pastor to plan the Sunday worship and special services to ensure appropriate music for the liturgy.
- Lead and direct the congregational music at all worship services.
- Lead and direct the choir in worship and special services, which includes preparing for and rehearsing the choir, recruiting new members, having appreciation events, and spiritual nurture.
- Recruit, train, and supervise volunteers to lead, assist or provide instrumental accompaniment for the music programs.
- Encourage and recruit congregation members of all ages to offer their musical talents.
- Work with the facilities manager to maintain quality audio performance.
- Serve as a resource for church members on music for weddings, funerals, etc.
- Attend parish functions as requested.
- Attend staff meetings or other management meetings as requested.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the pastor or pastoral associate.
B. Administer the music ministry program
- Prepare and recommend an annual music ministry budget to the Finance Director.
- Manage the music ministry budget as approved.
- Select and purchase all needed music, equipment, and supplies according to the music budget.
- Supervise the use and maintenance of the music, equipment, and supplies, such as the music library, musical instruments, etc.
- Work as a part of a team with other staff members.
- Be able to play the piano and/or organ.
- Present yourself and represent the parish professionally.
- Organizational skills to the calendar, schedule cantors, and choose the music in a timely manner