Diocese of Gary
St. Thomas More Parish
The Director of Finance and Operations is a critical member of our leadership team and will oversee the day-to-day activities of St. Thomas More Parish, ensuring that the organization is managed and performing efficiently and effectively.
This position reports directly to the Pastor.
- Participates in the hiring and training of parish departmental managers.
- Organizes and oversees the work and schedules of parish departmental managers.
- Conducts performance evaluations that are timely and constructive.
- Handles discipline and termination of employees as needed and in accordance with company policy.
- Oversees accounting, human resources, maintenance, custodial, technology and kitchen staff, ensuring each is reaching goals set by departmental and company leadership.
- Provides assistance to managers in the performance of their assigned duties.
- Directs and supervises the complete accounting system and financial function of the parish. This includes billing, A/R, cash receipts, collections, A/P, payroll, general ledger, forecasting, budgeting, internal controls, and audits.
- Researches, analyzes and presents accurate financial information for multiple audiences in a timely manner, collating financial reporting materials for different stakeholders and clearly communicating to all different segments of the organization
- Plans, directs, controls, implements, evaluates, monitors, and forecasts budgets in each area to achieve financial objectives.
- Establishes quantitative and qualitative metrics, guidelines, and standards by which the St. Thomas More’s efficiency and effectiveness can be evaluated; identifies opportunities for improvement.
- Reviews, analyzes, and evaluates business procedures.
- Implements policies and procedures that will improve day-to-day operations.
- Ensures work environments are adequate and safe.
- Communicates and explains new directives, policies, or procedures to managers; for major changes, meets with entire operations staff to explain changes, answer questions, and maintain morale.
- Improves customer service and satisfaction through policy and procedural changes.
- Projects a positive image of the organization to employees, customers, and both church and school communities.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Thorough understanding of accounting, business practices, theories, and policies involved in business and finance.
- Superior verbal and written communication, interpersonal, and follow-through skills.
- Superior managerial and diplomacy skills.
- Extremely proficient in Quick Books and Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent analytical, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
Education and Experience:
- MBA and/or a Bachelor of Science degree in Accounting preferred.
- Practicing Catholic
- Extensive and diversified background with at least 10 years of related experience.
- Good visual acuity and ability to communicate.
- Ability to lift and push/pull a minimum of 25 pounds. Reasonable assistance may be requested when lifting, pushing, and/or pulling are undertaken which exceeds these minimum requirements.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.